The most expensive luxury hotels have been tabulated and the North Island Lodge in the Seychelles has secured the number one spot. A new survey from Luxury-Hotels.com revealed this finding after comparing the rates of luxury hotels across the globe. The main summer holiday month of August 2013 served as the basis of comparison.
A couple who wants to spend the night at the North Island Lodge this summer will have to pay an eye-popping $5843 nightly. This luxury lodge’s remote location in the Seychelles is likely a contributor to its high price tag. Indeed, visitors must take a 15-minute helicopter ride to reach it on the main island of Mahé. That overnight rate easily positions the lodge ahead of the second-place finisher, the Laucala Resort. Situated on Fiji’s Laucala Island, a one-night stay at this number two resort averages $5040.
Another five African lodges, four of them safari camps, are found inside the Top 10. Europe’s most expensive hotel is the Cala di Volpe, located in Sardinia’s Costa Smeralda. There a double room averages $2939 during August, thus ranking as the ninth most expensive luxury hotel in the world.
Following are the world’s 20 most expensive hotels. The rates listed reflect the average nightly price a couple has to spend to stay at each respective resort for the period spanning August 1–31, 2013.
Rank Name of Hotel Location Avg. rate/ night
1. North Island Lodge Seychelles $5843
2. Laucala Resort Fiji $5040
3. Khwai River Lodge Botswana $4060
4. Savute Elephant Camp Botswana $4020
5. Eagle Island Camp & Spa Botswana $3970
6. Singita Grumeti Reserves Tanzania $3570
7. King Pacific Lodge Canada $3249
8. Mnemba Island Lodge Tanzania $3100
9. Hotel Cala di Volpe Italy $2939
10. Queen Charlotte Lodge Canada $2800
11. Le Dune, Forte Village Resort Italy $2778
12. Singita Lebombo Lodge South Africa $2634
13. Four Seasons Tented Camp Thailand $2470
14. The Wakaya Club and Spa Fiji Islands $2240
15. Maia Luxury Resort & Spa Seychelles $2238
16. Singita Ebony Lodge South Africa $2082
17. Canouan Resort St. Vincent $2040
18. Amankora Bhutan $1987
19. La Réserve Paris France $1929
20. Hotel Romazzino Italy $1824
About the Methodology:
The survey was conducted in June/July 2013. For all luxury hotels, the lowest available price, on average, a couple has to spend to stay at the respective resorts was established for the month of August 2013. Only such resorts hosting a minimum of 20 people were considered. The rates were taken from the respective hotels’ websites, were requested by phone or were drawn from the leading hotel-booking sites. In all cases, the lowest available price was used in tabulating the results.